Oxytocin Injection (Pitocin)
Oxytocin Injection (Pitocin)
(Trade Name: Chanqingsong)
This product is a colorless transparent liquid.
[Function and use]
It can directly excite uterus smooth muscles, and strengthen uterine contractions. The reactivity of uterus on oxytocin is affected by sex hormones. Estrogen can increase the sensitivity of uterus to oxytocin, while progesterone inhibits the sensitivity of uterus to oxytocin. A small dose of oxytocin can enhance rhythmic contractions of uterine muscles and relaxation of uterine smooth muscles during the late pregnancy, which is beneficial to fetal childbirth; large doses of oxytocin increase the tension of uterine muscles, resulting in tetanic contraction. Clinically, it is mainly applied in hastening parturition, postpartum uterus bleeding, retained fetal membranes, promotion of lactation, persistent corpus luteum, treatment of stillbirth, uterine recovery, and artificial insemination for poultry.
[Usage and Dosage]
1. Hastening parturition: It can be applied in dystocia for various animals caused by weak uterine contractions. Intramuscular injection of 75-100IU for cattle and horses, 30-50IU for pigs and sheep, 10-25IU for dogs, and 5-10IU for cats shall be implemented for a single dose. If the delivery time is too long and the estrogen in vivo decreases, estrogen shall be injected before using oxytocin so as to improve the sensitivity of uterus to oxytocin.
2. Luteolysis: It can be used to treat persistent corpus luteum for cattle; intramuscular injection of 400IU is applied in total; it shall be injected at 2-4 different times.
3. Treatment of uterine diseases: It is used for the treatment of endometritis, uterine inertia (subinvolution of uterus), and retained fetal membranes after delivery. Estradiol shall be injected first (20-30mg for big livestock, 10-20mg for middle-sized livestock, and 5-10mg for small animals), and then oxytocin shall be used for treatment (75-100IU for cattle and horses, 30-50IU for pigs and sheep, 10-25IU for dogs, and 5-10IU for cats); intramuscular injection or intrauterine injection shall be applied, once every 7 days.
4. Milk ejection: It can be used to promote the contraction of glandular epithelial cells of the mammary gland, facilitating the ejection of milk in acini. A single dose of intramuscular injection shall be applied, 10-20IU for cattle and horses, and 5-20IU for pigs and sheep.
1. When used for hastening parturition, it only can be applied in weak uterine contractions. It is contraindicated in dystocia caused by obstructed birth canal, malposition and birth canal stenosis.
2. When the estrogen is insufficient in vivo, it has no effect on uterine contractions.
10×1ml: 10 units 10×2ml: 20 units
Airtight; stored in a cool and dark place (under the temperature of 20℃).
[Term of Validity]